Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Sarah's Key

      I watched the movie  Sarah's Key a few days ago. I had been putting off seeing it because I was not sure if it was going to be too Hollywood and I knew that it would be unsettling.
     Sarah's Key begins when the Jews were being rounded up in France during World War II. A little girl locks her little brother in a closet so that the police won't find him and take him away. She had thought that it was him that they wanted. As it turned out the whole family was being rounded up. The little girl is beside herself when she realizes that her little brother was left behind and no one would be able to let him out of the closet. The determination to free her brother from the closet saves her life. The film covers Sarah's life and the life of a journalist who is investigating what had happened to the Jews of France during World War II.
     The psychological impact of this movie is intense. It is not a true story but its story captures so much despair and horror that one feels slightly ill while watching it. I have the kindle version of the book which I also have put off reading. Perhaps it will be easier to consider now that I have seen the film and know the story.

No comments: