Friday, July 5, 2013

TV or NO TV

     I own a television. I admit that I often watch TV shows on my computer instead of my actual television because its the easiest way to watch shows without commercial interruptions. The other reason is because I never remember what times the shows I like to watch are on so by the time I remember the next episode must be airing I have to watch it online. I also have forgotten how to use my VCR now that the digital converter is hooked up.
      I have friends who like to brag that they do not own television sets. Some say this to prove how frum they are , others to show how non-materialistic they are . I would be cool with both of these reasons except for the fact that I know for a fact that the same people who are professing these platitudes watch TV online. The fact that they don't own a TV is a technicality. They still are watching TV even if they do not own one.
      I guess now when people ask if someone owns a television they can be truthful and say that they don't own one, but they may still be tuning in every night to lots of television all in the comfort of their own home. I guess the question should now be "Do you watch TV shows ?" because you don't have to possess  a television set to watch TV shows.

1 comment:

Mr. Cohen said...

I lived without TV for 13 years