Monday, February 16, 2015

The News

     Since its the age of the Internet, I am more likely to read the news headlines online than watch news on television. I prefer it. I can get the headlines without having the full effect of video. I realize its possible to watch news videos online, but I am selective of those I watch. Some of them are just so depressing. I need to be able to sleep at night. Its important to know what is going on in the world even the most frightening news, but I do not believe that watching the news twenty -four seven is going to help anything. I have not watched any of the beheading videos that are online. I don't need to see it actually occur to believe they have happened. I'm funny like that. I suppose that for those who are quick to disbelieve that there could ever be injustice in this world watching ISIS beheading videos is appropriate. I am so grateful that I do not have a perverse desire to binge watch them. I will leave the watching of these videos to those with a stronger stomach than I have. I do not deny that these things have happened , I just do not want to see them . When anyone dies of war or illness it can be easy to dwell on the last image of their suffering, when all one really wants as a friend or relative is to push that image away and try to only recall what one's friend or loved one  was like in happier times.

No comments: