Monday, November 23, 2009

as time marches on

i havent lived with my parents since i was a month shy of 18. i remember being a kid and living with them but to be honest its but a distant memory. whenever i meet adults my age who still live with their parents i always wonder WHY? granted, im originally from the midwest, and moving to new york is a rite of passage for frum young adults who want to marry someone frum, but even so i think that by the time i would have graduated college and started working i would have moved out of my parents house even if i would have been a native new yorker. as frustrated as i am about being single, i am always comforted by the fact that at least i am capable of independence. i have my own apartment and i can afford to support myself. if i lived with my parents i would feel like i was just waiting for my adult life to begin. some people who live with their parents are independent, many are not. some wait far too long to move out until their parents are too old and then they cant leave them.
many singles past a certain age dont want to date men who were never married. im not so particular. i just want someone who can take care of himself.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I'm totally with you -- I don't understand why someone past the age of 22 would live with their parents, unless their circumstances are out of the ordinary, like they are divorced and hurting financially from the divorce.

Ookamikun said...

I moved out right before my 22nd birthday, but only because I got married.
Why move out and have to actually pay for stuff? Rent in NY is very high.