Saturday, October 8, 2011

post yom kippur thoughts

i  don't enjoy fasting, but other than that i don't really mind yom kippur. i always use an english-hebrew machzor and read the translation every so often. the prayers are really quite beautiful. i actually enjoy it more than rosh hashanah.
musaf today ended ant 3:10 and we had an almost two hour break. it was great. we even ended neilah five minutes early.
this was the first time in years that i was able to stand for all of neilah. i think this was due to the lovely fall weather .
this yom kippur as usual there has to be  a spoiler to an  idyllic holiday. the shul i attended today has benches. during minchah, a woman wanted to sit in the bench i was sitting at. i moved over so she could squeeze by, but instead she decided to sit in the two inch space between me and the end of the bench and half on me. i wanted to scream at her for being so obnoxious,  but  it was yom kippur, so i did not.  i moved instead.  i didnt want to let her ruin my yom kippur.
anyway, im glad to have made in through yom kippur and am looking forward to a peaceful sukkot and simchat torah.

4 comments:

Altie said...

I fast great thank g-d. And we started neilah late so we had to rush through it (the chazan slept in). And I overheard a non religious girl say to her friend, you have to be nice to me its Yom Kippur today. They know too :)

I love the feeling post yk, when everyone is out building sukkahs. The smell of schach.... ahhhhh I love it.

Fashion-isha said...

Hi! I'm so happy to find another frum blogger! I would love if you would stop by and check out my fashion and lifestyle blog. We need to support each other...I'm a new follower!

Hope you had a meaningful fast!
xo
Sharon
www.fashion-isha.com

frum single female said...

altie- yeah, its cool to see everyone buiding their sukkahs post yk.
sharon- ill check out your blog

FunnyAndJewish.com said...

I pray in a minyan for anorexics where Yontif fasts are always easy and over quickly.