Sunday, March 27, 2016

Matters of Prejudice

     I admit that the current terror situation  all over the world has made me leery of Muslims .The thing is its not always so easy to tell who is actually a Muslim and who is not. Some Hindus or even Syrian Jews look Muslim. The other thing is that even people who actually are Muslim are not necessarily part of ISIS and should not be harassed. They are just as scared of ISIS as us Jews are.  I  work with someone who is Hindu who looks very Indian who is starting to feel paranoid when people ask her about her ethnicity. I would never think she was Muslim as I know many Indian people and can tell the difference. It really made me take pause when my co-worker said this. As scary as the thought of terror is on a American soil there are those who are innocent that may physically look like the enemy . I am not super liberal, but it is heartbreaking  to see someone who is innocent being harassed or made to feel uncomfortable just because of what they look like . I am not sure what the answer is, but I do think that it is important to acknowledge  the delicate nature of this situation. 

1 comment:

Garnel Ironheart said...

As Chazal said, Kabduhu v'chashduhu. Be nice to everyone but keep your hand on your wallet.