Thursday, January 21, 2021

Second Time Around

       I had not watched the presidential inauguration on television since I was in high school until 4 years ago when I broke my shoulder on January 19 and the presidential inauguration was the next day. I had forgotten how exciting and boring inaugurations are. This year I was unexpectedly able to watch the inauguration as I have been furloughed from work. 

         Inauguration day is so full of hope for the president and its often all down hill after that as presidents are human. I hope that it is different this time but I am afraid that it will not be. 

        One fun fact I heard today is that George W Bush, Bill Clinton and Donald Trump were all born the same year. I have also heard that deaths come in threes. 


the freedom tower
The freedom tower

          As many fear the dissolution of America due to irreconcilable differences I pause to remember how when Ronald Reagan was running for president everyone thought he was  old to run for president at 69 and how in 2016 the candidates were both 70 and age was never the issue and how this year with a 74 year old candidate and a 78 year old candidate age was not given much thought.  Seems that ageism in politics  has faded, coincidentally more than intentionally. 

           Is the rising age of our presidents a sign that things aren't working? They say that wisdom comes with age, but does it seem our elder politicians are wiser or does it  seem that they are more senile or stubborn or cranky? Is it that younger people see the folly in Washington and are opting out of politics?                                                                                                                                                                       

          When I was younger and watched presidential inaugurations it did not seem that chaos followed.  Then again, I wasn't paying attention to the news then. 

           I pray that things get better regardless of whether or not I watched the inauguration. I pray that those who have been trying to divide the United States for the past 12 years stop.



 

No comments: