Friday, March 28, 2008

letting go

this week the weirdest thing happened at work. someone was fired. i work at a job where no one gets fired. in fact the management even prides themselves in this. well , this tuesday they broke their record. they fired someone . and unfortunately, they will be getting away with it. my co-worker had been in a car accident and injured her back. she finally came back to work last week, and as of this tuesday , she was let go. fortunately or unfortunately for me i had no warning that this was going to occur. perhaps i could have stopped it had i known. or perhaps not. my supervisor told my co-worker that since she was injured it didnt seem like she would be able to do the work and that she didnt think that she ever would be able to . my co-worker did try to fight back , but my supervisor being the clod that she is didnt listen. the thing is even if this woman would not have been able to fully uphold her duties she could have helped out otherwise in the office . im not sure whether my supervisor just fired her on a whim or if it was coming from the higher ups. i will investigate further on a day my supervisor isnt at work. the worst of it is that the woman who was fired was the only person in years who actually got together with my supervisor socially after work. no one else had the stomach to. so much for tl. but this doesnt surprise me . i just really feel bad for my co-worker because she doesnt have family to lean on. her mom is older and she cant live with her. her father is deceased. she is single. and she is injured. it will be very hard to find a new job in her condition. i know that the way she was fired is illegal ,and i told my friend this. she doesnt want to fight it because if she would be able to come back to work my supervisor would make her life miserable. i couldnt refute her,because i know it would be true. my supervisor could make someones life miserable.

3 comments:

Jewish Sceptic said...

making a misery of someone's life is also illegal.

Just tell your friend to write-up a clause about the maximum amount of hours she should work in a week...most employment contracts have them. That way, she can't have tons of work heaped on her on purpose.

Of course, if your supervisor is abusive, that's also an offence and would probably be dealt with through the company.

Yehudi Hilchati said...

The firing seems to me to be out-and-out totally illegal. Tell her that she should at least speak to a lawyer and then decide whether to proceed. Or, if she doesn't want to speak to a lawyer officially, how about just asking a friend who is a lawyer or someone ho is familiar with employment law what they think she should do or if she has legal recourse.

Also, fighting it could mean monetarily - i.e. suing the company, not getting her job back. That way she wouldn't have to deal with her old boss.

frum single female said...

as of yesterday i spoke with my friend and she has consulted a lawyer who did concur that the firing is illegal and that if she wanted him to proceed he would take action. unfortunately im not sure that she will sue . i think that my boss deserves to be sued .