Sunday, November 2, 2014

Punk Jews

    So I just watched the documentary PUNK JEWS for free on YouTube. I had wanted to go to one of the screenings, but I hadn't managed to .
      I really did not know what to expect. I thought that it would just be a movie about people who go to the Thursday night 'Cholent'. It did include a lot of coverage of them, but they really were not the whole movie. Because of my preconceptions it was not until the end of the movie that I understood the message of the film. The message really was not that enlightening.  To be punk really means that a  person has their own way of doing things. This film is about Jewish people who have found their own ways of expressing their Judaism that does  conform to the mainstream. Some of the people used to be Hasidic and others started out as regular reform or conservative Jews. They all found their own ways of expressing Judaism. This documentary is a  cliff's notes catalog of unusual ways to express one's Judaism . I would not mind to see a more in depth version because I do not feel that the fifty-five minutes of this documentary was enough to cover this topic. To the credit of the filmmakers there is a Punk Jews play list on YouTube that includes more Punk Jews that were not included in the film. Perhaps these will be included on their DVD release.
      I know that many of you don't even want to spend the fifty-five minutes watching this film even though I posted it to my blog post, but I am not going to give a full synopsis . Watch it. Its free.

No comments: