Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Bar Mitzvah Project

     A big tradition among reform  and conservative Jews is their bar/bat  mitzvah project. Often when I read about their mitzvah projects I wonder if a kid could do the listed project on their own. Among some of the projects that I admire because it looks like the kid could really do them is of a kid who with his mom worked at a Jewish food pantry for poor people, a girl who with her friends made quilts and then donated them to the poor. My new favorite project is of a boy named Ari Blumberg in Dallas who made and  donated special toiletry bags to a hospital  for chemo patients. I saw this posted on facebook by a woman who was the recipient of one of these bags. This is a simple act that generated so much joy .
     Of course this is the essense of life. Its not just the grand gestures that makes the world a better place. Its the little things that when we choose to do them the world becomes a kinder space.

No comments: