Monday, October 19, 2009

SCREAMING MIMIS!!!

one thing i can never get used to is the propensity of many frum jewish families in new york who yell at each other non-stop. its not that they are always angry with each other, its just their normal mode of speaking. being originally from the midwest, it makes me feel like my blood pressure is rising just listening to them.
i used to go to a few screaming mimi families for shabbos. no more. they were nice sincere people, but by the time i left their homes i would be shaking from the high decibel level of their voices.
at work there are a few screaming mimis. for the most part i try to tune them out ( not very easy) but when things naturally get stressful it becomes harder to tune them out.
just today a screaming mimi was shouting for me with the intensity of a 9/11 firefighter on the 88th floor of the world trade center. of course screaming mimis are like peter and the wolf. they are always crying wolf . when confronted they never realize that their decibel level is capable of upping their co-workers blood pressure medication . i keep hoping screaming mimi gets a severe case of laryngitis asap . if not, im going to have to invest in a good pair of earplugs soon!

7 comments:

Ookamikun said...

Meh, I don't like quiet. Whenever possible, I'm blasting my Rammstein or Basshunter or Nightwish radio on pandora.

zevman said...

Try noise canceling headphones for your iPod!

Jewish Side of Babysitter said...

I know exactly what you mean, some people in my family's talking voices are like screaming and I try to remind them that I can hear them when they lower their voices too.

btw, where'd the name "screaming Mimi" come from?

frum single female said...

i think screaming mimi was the name of a trief restaraunt i heard of years ago. i just used the term screaming mimis because i thought it fit the post. this post was inspired by a screaming mimi (woman).

Ookamikun said...

Did she also sound like Fran Drescher, cause that would be awesome!

frum single female said...

she doesnt sound remotely like fran drescher, more like a mad dog.

Something Different said...

Yeah, I have a friend who's family all uses "outdoor" voices. Always.
I spent shabbos there and my ears were ringing for a month afterwards...