Tuesday, September 6, 2011

house vs apartment

i consider my apartment my home, but deep down i feel a real home is  a house. i suppose this is because i grew up in a house .
i visited my mom this past weekend. she lives in the house i grew up in. i spent most of  the weekend indoors because it was oppressively hot outside. i did not have cabin fever . i usually get cabin fever when i spend too many consecutive hours in my apartment. perhaps this is because i live alone. perhaps not.  when i lived in a basement apartment i really enjoyed the fact that i was living in a house. you just opened the door and you were outside.(after climbing a few stairs ) . there was a certain freedom to house living. in an apartment building i dread the elevator chitchat  especially after a long day at work. i need a little time to unwind before socializing. then again i don't mind chitchat with the right person, but in an apartment building there are many i'd rather just nod and smile at than chat with. especially when its late and i have spent the entire day talking.
a house feels like a personal city. an apartment feels like a time share in a city.
im not moving to a house any time soon, but someday i would like to.

4 comments:

Woodrow/Conservadox said...

Why not move to a second or third floor apartment? That way you can have the best of both worlds- you can use the stairs most of the time to avoid the elevator chitchat, but you don't have to change buildings or neighborhoods (which I'm guessing you would have to do to live in a house or basement apartment).

frum single female said...

true, this would help. i do like my apartment though. i would say that when i would move i would do that.

Yedid Nefesh said...

I have a second floor apt that I have made into my home until the day I will make my house my home :)
My friend rents a house with a couple of friends and i always tease him that now that he is living in a house, whats the rush of getting married and moving out???

frum single female said...

yedid nefesh- well... that's another post altogether. i dont live in a house right now because i cant afford one, otherwise i would. its not that im not waiting to start a life with a husband, but i need to be happy and single as well. if i were a little younger i would agree with you.