Friday, March 20, 2020

Personal Space

     One of the things I dislike about living in religious Jewish  Brooklyn is the blatant disregard for personal space. It always bothers me how no matter how much I try to  not walk into someone someone always walks into me. For people who claim to be shomer negiah its a little odd.
       During this plague of coronovirus it seems the chassidic and yeshivish have seemed to be the last to adhere to the concept of social distancing which makes sense. The most physically pushy people just can't seem to tamp things down.
        It does suprise me how little regard for personal space people have here.When I broke my shoulder people would just run right into me even when I was wearing a sling . I find the lack of regard for personal space so unrefined and actually so un-Jewish. I am not against physical contact with others , but being bumped into constantly by strangers is unwanted physical contact.
       If the result of the current plague would be that people could get a little closer to my normal state of social distancing physically  it will have all been worth it.
   

No comments: