Tuesday, July 1, 2008

curly girl

my grandmother loved shirley temple movies. though my mom and aunt have pin straight hair, my dad, my siblings and i all have curly hair. and lucky me, mine is probably the curliest .
i grew up with curly hair in a world full of straight - haired people. i didnt even know what to do with my hair until i was twenty-seven .
stereotypically jews seem to have curly hair, but all i can say is not where i grew up. my best friend in seventh grade had curly hair and that was about it (except for my family) until i emigrated to new york the mecca of "ethnic" (read curly) hair.
growing up , few celebrities seemed to have curly hair. in fact , when a tv character wanted to seem more polished, they always seemed to have straightened their unruly curly tresses.
now there is frizz ease and numerous frizz-control products which i continually rotate.
i remember several years ago there was a movie called the princess diaries that was boycotted by a curly hair website because they put down curly hair. i thought that the movie was cute, so i thought the boycott a bit extreme. i did however understand their sentiment.
i have come to embrace my curls , especially now that i know alot of other curly tops who are happy with their tresses. im sure i can attribute a few pounds to my thick ringlets. so i can assume that im really a few pounds thinner than the scale intimates. i save money on my electric bill by not using a blow dryer.
ive also noticed that older woman with curly hair tend to have healthier looking hair than older women with straight hair. curly haired women never damaged their locks with curling irons and seldom blow dried .
lets hear it for curly haired people!!!

4 comments:

Lubab No More said...

I am all about the curls. They'll be back in style before you know it.

Shain D. said...

Hear hear!!
Now, all we have to do is figure out how to keep them within a ten mile radius of our heads, especially in this weather...
:)

הצעיר שלמה בן רפאל לבית שריקי ס"ט said...

It really depends on the girl and the curls..(!)

mother in israel said...

I have curly hair. My sister went to high school in the 60s, and straightened hers every night. But I grew up in the 70s so I was okay. Hairdressers always told me how lucky I was and how most women wished their hair was like mine. Now I cover it and it's graying too. . .