Tuesday, July 15, 2008

the three weeks

im really not looking forward to the three weeks. not that anyone in their right mind would be. although, i suppose it would be quite lofty to say that i was looking forward to uplifting myself spirtually during the three weeks. but im not that good.

the worst part of shivah assar betamuz is knowing that tisha bav is only three weeks away.

blah!!

the three weeks always have a foreboding aura. kind of like feeling spooked. the suffocating summer heat adds to the oppressive ambiance.

the three weeks always come right when im starting to enjoy the summer. as if to say, dont enjoy your summer so much. just like sefirah starts when spring is in the air. i guess its trying to say, enjoy life, but also remember life has a purpose and we must remember the worst of times to enhance appreciation of the good times.

1 comment:

Leora said...

I enjoy reading about Jewish history, so sometimes that helps with doing something related to the Three Weeks that is not so blah.

I also have difficulty when it seems Judaism is legislating my feelings. So I decided to say I was "contemplative" instead of sad on 17 Tammuz.

Many of the things I liked to do are allowed during the three weeks (I can draw, write in my blog, talk to my kids, garden), so it's only nine days of swimming that I have to give up (and we lost our local pool, so swimming isn't so easy all summer, anyway).

I'm going on and on... but it was a good topic!