Monday, February 16, 2009

the borrowers

when i was in college i had a roommate from a rich family who would try to share college textbooks with me if we were taking the same classes. i never shared with her because i was afraid we'd need the book at the same time and then what? also, i thought it was kind of cheap. her family had enough money to buy her the darn book. in fact they were so wealthy they could have bought me my books as well. at the time i realized that this is how the rich stay rich .
fast forward to the present. i hate when friends come over and scan my magazine subscriptions and figure wouldnt i love to lend my magazines to them after ive read them. i always say no unless they want to split the cost of the magazines with me. i also have "friends" who scan my bookshelves and dvds and are plotting what they can borrow. im not the library folks. fyi , the library has all the magazine subscriptions , books and dvds you covet. and they charge you if you dont return them on time. i know i sound like a shrew, but my rule is that i dont lend anyone anything i wouldnt mind not getting back or not mind getting back in one piece. which of course is not much. i do have a few trusted friends i lend to , but they lend me things too. there is a give and take. with alot of people i feel like they are scanning me for what i can do for them. or lend them . and they are none to obvious about it.
the other thing is that im the complete opposite. i dont like borrowing from others unless i have to. i guess thats why i resent others whose middle name is "can i borrow that?"

7 comments:

Ookamikun said...

Unless the person has a bad "borrowing history", I don't mind lending stuff. Then again, once I watched/read something, I'll probably wont again.

Originally From Brooklyn said...

"Don't ask something of someone that you wouldn't them asking of you."

Like the Golden Rule, but not quite. The difference is that you can ask of someone if you are willing to have them ask the same of you. Meaning that you wouldn't mind borrowing from others so much if you allow more people to borrow from you.

frum single female said...

even if i lent others more of my things i still wouldnt ask to borrow more from others. im more on the shy side. i suppose if i lent out things more i would figure they owe me. the thing is im not okay with people ruining or losing things i lend them, and ive had this happen to things i care about. im not saying i would never lend things, its just that im much more careful about lending. the other thing is im mostly speaking about others who are looking just to borrow everything i own and have nothing to lend . ever. its more like they see you have something they want and they want it. they think whats theirs is theirs and whats mine is theirs.

Ookamikun said...

What's yours is mine and what's mine...is mine.

frum single female said...

well there you go....

Ookamikun said...

So...can you put up some pics of your stuff so that we can tell you what we want. ;-)

smoo said...

I noticed that I am a scanner. But I do it to get a sense of the person I'm visiting and to get ideas about interesting topics. I rarely borrow. I like to own my own copies. Most of the times I've lent books out they came back with coffee or soda stains and far worse for the wear. I cherish the books that I enjoy.
Recently, i have bought doubles of some great books (on sale 1-2 dollars) so if some one wants to borrow, I don't have to worry. Also When my kids get older, i'll let them read THAT copy.