Sunday, March 22, 2009

thanks for the memories

having a good memory can be a blessing as well as a curse. i clearly recall my great-aunt who died when i was three, the score i got on my road test for my driver's license, eating popsicles at the end of the day at day camp and my first day at sleep away camp . i also remember having my wisdom teeth removed , being teased at overnight camp, and being brought to tears by those who i thought were friends. memory doesnt distinguish between positve or negative, it just remembers.

those who dont remember names also dont remember those who dont deserve to be remembered .

at work my supervisor is intimidated by me because of my memory. she of course is practically brain dead and has the memory capacity of a wood chip. i remember clients names and simple details . id rather it this way than the other way around, but i always try to downplay my ability.

im an encyclopedia when it comes to recalling men ive dated or met and trivia about them. the beauty is that im not trying to remember i just do.

people think that i read people magazine because i am up on celebrity info. i do not . who has the time? i just happen to recall details that interest me.

most who have poor memory abilities dont realize what they lack. i am grateful to recall what most may not, but for those of you who wont remember this post past five minutes from now, realize when you dont recall a pleasant detail it also means you dont recall a dreadful one.

6 comments:

%Shocked% said...

I had a feeling that when I added your link to my Google reader as being a potentially interesting blog to read on a semi-regular/when I have time basis, I'd have something interesting to read. Boy was I right! Very well said. I think I suffer from the same 'disease' of having a good memory that you do. Useless information, painful memories, etc, have a way of worming their unwanted way into my head regularly. As grateful that I am that I've been blessed with a superb memory (it's great for tests and impressing people with things they told you that you remember ;) hehe), but on those days when you just want to stop remembering, it's not fun at all.

frum single female said...

thanks avi

Cacti Don't Cry said...

I have the same "problem" ... except that I seem to be able to remember things I don't WANT to remember, whereas if I would like to remember something, it's not necessarily that easy.

Your "wood chip" boss makes me laugh... sounds familiar!!

Ookamikun said...

I'm the wood chip!
We were watching Epic Movie yesterday and by the time they got to the factory, I forgot Lucy's story!

I was in Chaim Berlin in teh retarded BT class. Because of this we davened in the beis hamedresh. I forgot where my classroom was so I decided that I'm gonna follow the rabbi back. One problem, I look around and they all have white beards and are wearing black!!!

One time, granted, it was while I was high, I almost got lost half a block from home.

Anonymous said...

As someone who has the opposite problem, especially with names - I promise it is better to have a good memory.

You avoid LOTS of embarrassing situations!

And for me at least, although I forget the names of almost everyone I've ever met... unfortunately I still remember the bad stuff.

Originally From Brooklyn said...

Well I dont have this problem, I have a very bad memory. I remember practically nothing. It's no wonder i repeat all my mistakes over and over.