Thursday, June 28, 2012

sunscreen

I try to stay out of the sun as much as possible. Even a few years ago I had friends who would mock me for this. They were forever on the beach soaking up some rays.  Not anymore.  Several sunburns and sun damage removal later they are singing different tunes. I never thought that this would happen. Not the sun damage part, but the fact that less of my friends are sun worshippers.  The fact is the best way not to burn is to stay out of the sun. Sunblock helps, but the best way not to burn or have sun spots is to stay out of the sun.  I think that the laws of tznius actually help Jewish people get less sun damage. If you are more covered with clothing one is less likely to suffer from the ravages of the sun. If you are more covered up outside the heat will affect you more so you really better stay out of the sun. Being more clothed in the heat can cause you to pass out from the heat. This is why I opt to stay indoors with my air conditioning on. Wake me up when it's fall.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the tremendous benefits to Vitamin D productiona nd general health of spending time in the sunshine, even if not sunbathing'? One might surmise that too much covering up can have a detrimental effect, even to the extent of an increase in conditions related to low levels of Vitamin D in parts of the chareidi cmmunity.

frum single female said...

I don't live on the right side of the equator to get d3 from the sun and my doctor told me to stay out of the sun and take d3 supplements . Which work

Princess Lea said...

All one needs is 15 minutes in the sun daily to get vitamin D. One can get that from being in their car or in the bus window.

I wish I could hibernate through summer.

frum single female said...

Not true. I'm outside that much without sunscreen just walking to the train. Perhaps if u are wearing a bikini for 15 min daily u will get enough d3 but so many pple are d3 deficient that I suspect 15 min of unprotected sun isn't enough . I know for me it is not

frum single female said...

I was tested and used to be deficient in vitamin D3. Now I am not . I take a vitamin D3 suppliment

Donyel said...

I've found plenty of tznius long-sleeved shirts that have UV-blocking fabric. They're light an airy as a bonus, too!

Check out my new post on Leftover Cholent!

frum single female said...

Donyel- cool. I'll check it out.