Tuesday, June 24, 2008

sound memories

a few years ago i was walking down the stairs at the 34th street subway station when i heard a familiar voice. i looked around for the familiar face to match. the face wasnt familiar , but then i realised whose voice it was. it was the voice of my old college friend, now thirty-something -wife-and mother. of course we chatted and when she asked me if it was her distinct voice that made me recognize her i could not deny it. had it not been for her voice i would have walked right past her.
recently i was in my dermatologist's waiting room , when two sixty-somethings realized they had been friends years ago and as a result reconnected. they didnt recognize each other by face, but when they started chatting in the waiting room they realized their voices sounded familiar to one another . once they exchanged names, they realized they had been friends 20 years ago.
i have a friend who had gastric bypass surgery. when i first saw her after the surgery i could hardly believe it was really her. but when i concentrated on her voice i realized she was the same person as before her surgery.

1 comment:

Leora said...

Dear frum female, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm on vacation now; I'll try to read more of your blog when I return to the U.S. Shabbat Shalom.