Monday, January 19, 2009

friends that end


when you're dating someone if it doesnt work out , you discuss it with them, you tell them its not working , or you at least figure it out if they never return your calls, or if they just never call you after your last date. usually there is some type of ending, be it clearly defined, or assumed.

when you 've had it with a friend of the same gender it becomes a whole other ball of wax.

one of the first seinfeld episodes tried to reconcile this issue. the episode was male unbonding which aired june 14, 1990. jerry had a childhood friend joel who he outgrew , but joel still kept trying to stay in touch with jerry anyway. at one point jerry tells joel that he thinks that "they should stop seeing each other" and that they have nothing in common anymore. this of course doesnt work. in the end jerry decides to suck it up and tolerate when joel calls him even though he doesnt want him to . its just easier.

i find this subject so difficult. usually when friendship drifts its mutual. its just run its course. sometimes once i get to know someone i realize that they annoy the daylights out of me. and then what do you do? my so- called friend asks me what they have done to fall out of friendship with me. what can i say? i dont really want to tell them. it will hurt their feelings. its just the way they are. im not mad at them at all. i just choose not to spend that much time with them anymore because my mental state depends on it.

im a pretty patient person, but sometimes my patience runs out. some people are so sensitive that i feel like being friends with them requires me to walk on eggshells. which is okay. but sometimes i go back to being just average and not so accommodating, and then these same gendered friends get offended. im just too stressed to be their friend. if they were a guy id just break up with them. no problem . and im a good breaker -upper. but with my female friends i dont know what to do. its much harder to move on . its harder to "break up" .

11 comments:

Ookamikun said...

I only really broke up with one person. The guy was fun in general but was a pathological lier, some things he made up on purpose and some he actually believed. One day I've had enough of his constant lying and making fun of what I say and I told him to walk.
I'm honest and I hate liers, though even more I hate people who lie "for my benefit".

btw, you missed 30 in your poll. There's to 29 and above 30 but no 30. I'll vote as soon as you correct the mistake. ;-)

frum single female said...

sorry moshe, i cant edit the poll now that its underway. i guess if one is thirty they are also over thirty, but i also know that no one who is exactly thirty will agree with me (even me when i was exactly 30). i guess you could say you are ageless. it doesnt matter. i appreciate anyone who reads my blog whether they vote in my poll or not.ill just be more careful with my poll categories next time!!!

Ookamikun said...

It was bad enough turning 30 last year, don't make me feel worse. :-P

frum single female said...

awww. so sorry. i know that turning thirty is a tough one. but it truly is a bracha as well.

Mikeinmidwood said...

Thats a tough one. I never knew what to do, I just didnt answer calls, and waited till they got the message. If they dont get the message youre screwed.

Ookamikun said...

It is?! Other than now being able to say that the reason I can't do the warmup in karate properly is because of my advanced age, I don't see any good about it.
You're just in the acceptance stage. ;-)

Ookamikun said...

Or is it the bargaining stage considering you're saying it's a brocha.

frum single female said...

mike- yes, ive done that as well. sometimes people get it , sometimes not. either way its tough.
moshe- im definitly in the acceptance stage, but the thing is i have a friend who died at exactly thirty in a car accident, and another who died after having a child. life is so fragile. im definitly a big kvetcher, but deep down i do have to say im just glad to be alive. i miss alot of things about being say in my early twenties, but life does not end at thirty. i may not love everything that life has thrown me, but i genuinely love living.

Ookamikun said...

But I don't wanna grow up!
I'm a Toys R' Us kid!

David Staum said...

Moshe,

You can be a Toys R Us kid at any age! (with some extra aches & pains).

Personally, I'm getting younger. Of course that involves more exercise and less junk food, but I intend to be 30 by the time I'm 40 later this year.

Ookamikun said...

Dude, you're setting your goals too low. Aim for 20 at least. I'm going for 12. ;-)