Tuesday, December 18, 2012

glad to be a jew

     I never had the desire to celebrate x-mas. Of course I was the proud owner of a Chatty Cathy doll but did not know that was the name of the doll until a few years ago when I saw a picture of old dolls and I recognized that the doll had when I was four was a Chatty Cathy doll. I have a pretty good  memory so the fact that I did not know that the doll was named Chatty Cathy is not completely because I forget the name of  a doll I had long ago. My parents used to call that doll Chitty Chatty because Cathy was a goyishe name and they didn't want me to have a doll named Cathy. The really odd part is that I did get a Chrissy doll when I  was five and I remember calling her Chrissy. Chrissy  was a doll with hair that you could make longer or shorter. I guess by the time I was five I paid more attention to tv commercials and my parents weren't able to doctor the name because I didn't call the Chrissy doll anything but Chrissy.
     When I took piano lessons from a gentile piano teacher I remember her asking me if I wanted to see her light up her x-mas tree , By then I was eight. I was a little curious, but mostly I was just being polite when my piano teacher showed me her lit up x-mas tree. I always thought x-mas trees were kind of gaudy and all the red and green was a bit tacky for my taste. To this day I find the facades of churches to be rather scary looking , not that I ever had reason to be afraid of one.
      Gentiles at work are often surprised when I tell them that I do not celebrate x-mas even though I am known as the Super-Jew. I suppose its understandable. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually celebrates x-mas. Of course I never tell them this. X-mas is just another day off for me and I am more than glad to be a Jew.

1 comment:

tesyaa said...

Nowadays there is a heimish version of everything and I'm sure there is a Kreindel doll.