Sunday, August 11, 2013

Satisfaction

     Birthdays are always a time when people re-examine their lives. Am I closer to my goals than I was last year? No, today is not my birthday. It is the birthday of a good friend of mine, thus the introspection.
      It is so easy to look back at the year and feel an aura of dissatisfaction. One is still single, may never have children, may never be independently wealthy. The list goes on. If ruminating about what one lacks propels a person to improve one's lot then ruminating can be positive. If it just sinks one further into a pit of self pity then ruminating is counter-productive. Perhaps it would be better to  try and identify what is good in one's life and try and appreciate.   If one is healthy, bask in this. Does one have solid friendships, and/or family who one mutually loves, cares and respects? These are all vital ingredients to existence on planet earth. Cherish them.
       Do you make time for the things that are important to you? If so appreciate this. If not try to make time for them.
       No matter how wealthy a person is one always wants more. Appreciate what one does have. I used to live in basement apartment. I had a friend who visited me and  disparaged me for living there. At the time it was all I could afford and I was satisfied living there because the rent was reasonable and I was able to do everything I wanted to because I had such low rent. Until she  brought it up I felt just fine about it. Don't let others drag you down.
       The quickest way to wealth is to appreciate what one has. Life is a process. Being satisfied with one's lot is not a cop-out. One can strive for one's goals while being satisfied with what bounty one has. It is always best for striving to start at point of strength rather than weakness.
      

4 comments:

Wondering Minds said...

Single...and wealth...both aren't too scary...
But "may never have children" is an awfully scary thought.
:(

frum single female said...

Wondering minds- everyone has their fears

Wondering Minds said...

Something that I've thought about for a while...is that I refuse to become a 30+ y/o single Jewish male.

While I am not near that plateau yet, I will not allow myself to reach it.

frum single female said...

WM- I hear ya