Saturday, May 10, 2008

mother's day

tomorrow is mother's day. of course mother's day is always the day i hope and pray that by next mother's day i will be married and at least be on my way to becoming a mother. since my mom lives outside of new york i dont spend the requisite mother's day with mom, but i do call her. alot of frummies say that "mother's day is everyday", but to me that's a cop out. dah! mother's day is everyday, but that's not the point. mother's day is so people will reminded to respect one's mother, not literally that mother's day is the only day to honor one's parents. for a people that prides ourselves on looking deeper in to something and not taking something at face value i find this sentiment a bit too literal. this is a positive secular holiday!!
when i was growing up my mom used to buy mother's day and father's day gifts even for aunts and uncles who did not have children. at this point in my life i find this quite profound.
i plan on spending this mother's day with my friend who just lost her mom and try to cheer her up.

1 comment:

s(b.) said...

I feel people live on in what they've shared with us. Sometimes it's how to do things, sometimes it's how not to do things. Sometimes it's not about doing stuff, but about interacting with others. I hope your friend has a positive day. If she wants to grieve, I hope you let her do just that.