Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Appreciation

     One often appreciates something when one does not have it anymore The elevator in my apartment building is being renovated and I live on the top floor. I always have appreciated the elevator, but now I appreciate it even more. It feels as though I am having an elevator fast. I am always considering my steps before I get to my apartment building. Not too many heavy bags. I take the bus from the train so I am less tired when I get home and have to climb the stairs. I'm not sure how the old people  or the disabled are faring. I am conserving how many times I leave my apartment daily. The trek up the stairs is grueling when I am tired. I don't know what people did before the days of electricity. I am glad I did not live in that generation. Its hard enough surviving my temporarily elevator-less building. 

3 comments:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

Keep a perspective on things.
If you had been born 100 years ago you'd be wondering how you could have lived in conditions 200 years ago.
We can't imagine what summers without air conditioning is like but people who were around before air conditioning didn't sit, swelter and say "Boy, I wish there was this magic box we could put into the window that would fill this room with cold air!"

Wondering Minds said...

Coincidentally, before their were elevators, the buildings weren't as tall...

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

Yeah, but before there were air conditioners the days were just as hot.