Tuesday, March 2, 2010

the greatest thing...

the greatest thing that happened when my brother got married a few years ago was not that he got married. im happy for him that he is married , but that wasn't the best thing to come from his wedding.
the best thing that happened when my brother got married was that i realized how lucky i was to have my family be my family and not my brother's wife and her family . ok i suppose my brothers wife is sort of part of my family now, but she isnt my actual sister.
i realized my sister is the best sister in the world and that though my parents arent always perfect i thank hashem every minute that they are my parents and that my brothers wife's parents are not my parents.
planning a wedding can bring out the worst in people but in a way it made me appreciate my family more. my family is down to earth and dont care about keeping up with the jones' or the feldmans. my sister cares about actual life issues instead of what is fashionable at saks fifth avenue this season.
as far as family goes, the dysfunction you know is always better than the dysfunction you don't know.


1 comment:

%Shocked% said...

I totally agree. There are some families that I still feel a touch of envy for when I see how all the kids and parents get along so well with each other, but in general, I'm happy that I have my family "dysfunctions" to deal with and not someone else's.