Thursday, March 29, 2012

mega millions

the mega millions lottery ticket today is mega large today. whenever i think about the possibility of winning the jackpot and how i would live my life after i won my mega millions i wonder how i could live that way even if i never won those mega millions. do i really need mega millions to live a utopian life? if i would have the mega millions it would certainly help, but not everything in utopia requires mega millions. thank goodness.
money can't buy heath even though it can help maintain it. inner peace does not require a large check. true friends are more valuable than money. money can't make the sun shine or the rain drop. being rich does not prevent depression or make one a confident person. kindness to others and creativity does not require mega millions. mega millions can enhance all these qualities, but it is  not required .
hopefully i will remember to buy a mega millions ticket, but if i don't i will still strive to live the enriched life i envision  for myself.

3 comments:

IYB said...

I agree entirely. In fact, in some ways, I am already living that idealistic life.

A few weeks ago, I was brainstorming what I really wanted in life and realized that I don't have a single problem that could be solved by money. I was learning in a Yeshiva where I didn't belong (I'm going somewhere else after Pesach) and constantly being bombarded with suggestions that I date girls who made no sense for me.

If winning the mega-millions would make it any easier to find a smart, yare-shamayim, tzanua girl, I would definitely have bought a ticket. But the reality is that a girl who'd be more interested in me if I had millions of dollars doesn't sound very appealing (or smart or yare-shamayim or tzanua).

Having a healthy social environment and a good place to learn also seem like the type of things that money not only can't buy, but can interfere with.

So basically, $500 million couldn't buy me anything I don't already have.

Eliyahu said...

beautiful values you have. as i was thinking about the lotto, i concluded that if i really had faith i might win, then why would i need to buy a ticket? why would such a miracle even require a ticket? alas, i only have a sliver of such emuna.

frum single female said...

thanks eliyahu