Wednesday, July 11, 2012

56 up

     In 1964 a bunch of seven year old British children were interviewed.  Every seven years they were interviewed. One sees their job choices, their marital choices as well as  their hopes and dreams. It almost seems voyeuristic.  It is similar to the time lapse you tube videos  only better. It becomes addictive. Once I watched 7 up I was hooked. I watched each series 7 up until 49 up in quick succession which might not have been the best idea. It was kind of sad to see people grow up so quickly before my eyes. Its bittersweet.
     Now the next installment 56 up has been documented. I have watched it on you tube. The feel of the film is different than the others. At 56 there is a feeling of being comfortable in their own skin even for those who had more tumultuous lives.  It is also less overwhelming to me because I know that I can't watch 63 up for another 7 years.
     Originally the series was supposed to be a study on class in British society . Over time it has become more about seeing what life has unfolded for these individuals. Not everyone born rich lived a charmed life and not everyone  born poor is unhappy. One gets to see the contribution ordinary people give to society. It is inspiring.
     After watching 56 up and the entire up series so far one sees how quickly almost fifty years goes.

No comments: