Friday, August 17, 2012

Butternut Squash Fries

     As a big supporter of the farmer's market I have been buying butternut squash for years. I used to  always steam it and I loved it. The problem is that I had yet to make another butternut squash dish. I have tried baking butternut squash but it would never come out right. The other problem is that it is really tough to cut butternut squash before it has been cooked. Fortunately I found a solution. I steam butternut squash for a bit until its soft enough to cut but not fully cooked. I let it cool off so I don't burn myself, and I cut the squash up into wedges. I spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and I put the wedges on the cookie sheet. I sprinkle pumpkin spice and salt free garlic blend spice over the wedges . Finally I spray a few sprays of cooking spray onto the wedges and then I bake it for about a half hour. It would probably be best if I flipped the wedges midway through the half hour, but I am much too lazy to do so. Either way , it still comes out tasty. The finished product tastes like a lighter version of sweet potato fries. I plan on making some for shabbos.

No comments: