Sunday, October 21, 2012

Oldies But Goodies

    Often on  I like to watch old t.v. shows online. One such show that I have been enjoying lately is The  Dick Van Dyke  Show.  The Dick Van Dyke Show is one of the all time funniest shows that were before my time. Some old shows like Father Knows Best or The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show don't really hold up well in 2012, The Dick Van Dyke Show does.
     TDVDS  is about an early 1960's couple who live in the suburbs in New York. Husband Rob is a comedy writer . Wife Laura is a housewife. The dialogue is superb. Rob works in Manhattan as a comedy writer with Buddy and Sally. Buddy  played by Morey Amsterdam is the sharpest  comedian that I have ever heard. Everything he says is insanely funny. Sally is the eternal single woman in  search of a husband.  Neighbor Millie is played by the same woman who played Grandma Yettta  on The Nanny. This is the early 1960's so it is pre-feminist. I watch this show wishing I was Laura and ending up feeling more like Sally.  It is still a joy to watch. I saw re-runs of this as a kid, but it is so different to watch as an adult. Full episodes are available on you tube or netflix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best "old" TV show is M*A*S*H. Nothing beats it.