Sunday, October 14, 2012

Temple Grandin

     I just watched the HBO movie Temple Grandin starring Claire Danes. Temple Grandin is the story of a woman who is autistic who with the support of her family learned to speak , went to college, got a phd and became a respected advocate of proper treatment of animals in the slaughter house. She created a system of animal handling in the slaughter house that is more humane.She created a system that is even used in kosher slaughter houses. Temple Grandin is as inspiring as it is informative. I learned more about autism than I ever had. Temple Grandin must be a higher functioning autistic , but this makes her case no less powerful. She came of age in the 1960's when autism was not addressed as respectfully as it is today. Her parents were told to institutionalize her. Her mother refused to. Her mother helped her learn to speak and encouraged her to excel. She was able to turn her disability to an asset in her field. I found her story nothing short of amazing. Now I have to read her book .
 

4 comments:

tesyaa said...

Yes, Temple Grandin is a superstar.

corti said...

I'm pretty sure Temple Grandin has Asperger's. This is the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum (completely verbal, no intellectual disability- but still have social difficulty, narrow range of interests and can have the sensory sensitivity like the rest of the spectrum). Definitely not the norm but still an inspiration and I want to see it! Thanks for reminding me

corti said...

Whoops, & send me follow-up comments please :P (just needed to check that box this time)

frum single female said...

Corti- Yes, I do agree that Temple Grandin is high functioning,but an inspiration no less.