Friday, June 28, 2013

Touro College Sues State Agency Over Right To Sabbath Elevator For Students | The Jewish Week

Touro College Sues State Agency Over Right To Sabbath Elevator For Students | The Jewish Week
This article is very interesting. When I lived in the Touro dormitory there wasn't a shabbos elevator and one year I lived on the tenth floor. We would trek up and down the stairs during shabbos. I think that the request for a shabbos elevator is legitimate . When I was in college I had been in an accident and was not able to walk down stairs for a few months. It would have been nicer for me had their been  a shabbos elevator.  I don't know what floors they live on but I do find it anti frum for the board of the building to oppose the shabbos elevator. It isn't necessary to have one, but it does help. I don't think that for one day of the week that it is so awful for someone who does not keep shabbos to endure if it would make things a lot easier for others. To be fair I do not know all of the issues in this case. This is just my two cents.

5 comments:

tesyaa said...

Isn't it true that many people don't hold by "Shabbos elevators" anyway? Nothing to do with the legal issue, of course. I'm just wondering how many people would refuse to use it even if it existed.

Mr. Cohen said...

I once had to give someone a computer when the elevators were broken, so I carried the computer up 14 flights of stairs.

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

In med school I lived on the 17th floor. Somehow I made the trek up and down. It just made be think that I should be awfully sure I wanted to leave my apartment instead of flitting in and out all day.

frum single female said...

tesyaa- you are right. not everyone holds by shabbos elevators. i am not even sure of my stand on it since i have never lived anywhere where there was one and i haven't actually seen many. i just found the issue interesting to post.

Wondering Minds said...

Tesyaa - most people have no problem with it.
And those that do are in the same position as now, everyone else benefits.

Mr. Cohen - relevant as usual. Spot on!