Monday, June 10, 2013

What If?

      What  would you do if  chas v'shalom were in an accident or in danger and you needed the help of  a  friend and your  friend did not come through for you ? Would you cut them out of your life or would you forgive them?
      I read a book about someone who was brutally  attacked and her friend saw it but ran away because she was scared. Her friend did call the police but she ran away from the situation . The friend was in such shock from seeing the attack she did not react as quickly as she should have. The woman who was attacked forgave her friend for not being as swift or as gallant as she could have been because she felt the no one knows how they would act in a dire situation and sometimes people do the wrong thing.
       B"H I have never been in that kind of situation. I was hit by a taxi when I was in college. A friend of my roommate's was staying over in my dorm room and it was a Thursday night and she wanted to go out for a soda. It was not really something that I wanted to do because I did not especially  like this friend of my roommate's . She kept begging me so eventually I went with her. On the walk home I misjudged how quickly a taxi was coming when I crossed the street against the light. This was not something I would normally do as I usually am  an overly cautious person. Sometimes when I am in the presence of others who are more daring I am more daring. In the end I was hit by the taxi . I had some injuries but I am fine now. I  later found out that my roommate's friend thought that I wanted to sue her so whenever I had tried to contact her after the accident she was nowhere to be found. That notion left me completely baffled. While it was true that  had she not begged me to join her that evening I would not have been hit by a taxi I did not hold her responsible for the accident. I thought at the time that since I really did not especially like this friend of my roommate that the fact that I went out with her  that evening that it  was just something that was supposed to happen . I did not blame her . It was the last thing on my mind. All I wanted at the time was to get better. Since I was in a college dorm at the time I had lots of people to help me. I was fortunate not to have anyone be a bad friend at the time.
       I think that no one really knows how good   a friend they would be when faced with dire circumstances. Sometimes those who one would least expect to be a good friend will be a good friend, other times those who one thinks one can count on fail to measure up. No one knows if they would forgive a friend for not measuring up when one really needs them unless one is tested in that way. 

2 comments:

FrumGeek said...

I know this isn't the point of the post, but the (future) lawyer in me can't help but point out that you'd have no grounds to sue her on, so she had nothing to be worried about.

frum single female said...

Frum Geek- Yeah, well that was the crazy part. I could not understand how she could have thought that.Maybe she was just feeling guilty .