Saturday, June 7, 2014

Conventionality

     I used to dislike being unique. I always wanted to just blend in with others. I would have loved to have lived the cookie cutter life of getting married in my twenties, having kids etc. Alas this was not meant to be. Its not that I have given up but I know that a person does  not always get everything one wants in life. Recently I realized that by not being the cookie cutter image I have learned to be more. Because I have been challenged I am able to relate to others a lot better than people for whom things came easier to. Even so,  I would like to believe that I would have been understanding to others even if I had not been challenged.
     Over the years I have met women who have gotten divorced who said that they could not understand the plight of singles until they suddenly were one . Even when some of them remarried they still were a bit more compassionate toward singles than they had been before.
     I have met yeshivish people who for various reasons lived among more "modern" orthodox communities and began to appreciate them as most people who grew up outside of New York would.
     It can be a lot easier to be mainstream, but it does not always make you a better person.

No comments: