Sunday, June 22, 2014

Smoke and Mirrors

     I have a friend who has lupus and when she has a flare up she takes medication that can make her face puffy. The  last time she had this she was very self conscious and did not want to go anywhere outside of work .
The crazy thing is that though I knew her then I do not remember her looking moon faced from the medication. Even looking at those pictures I don't see it. Some of it is that when its not you imperfections look less noticeable. The other thing is that when you are friends with someone you see them you don't notice their imperfections.
     I never paid attention to my grandparents wrinkles, I just loved them because they were my grandparents.
     Ever meet someone of the opposite sex who is very attractive and then as you get to know them even though you still may find them very attractive you kind of forget what they look like and just see who they are? Beauty is like a label or a fancy advertisement. It might lead you to someone but unless their essence matches up to their reality its all just smoke and mirrors.

2 comments:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

I work with a nurse who has to take steroids from time to time. Being beauty obsessed she's very thin and actually looks better on them...

Mr. Cohen said...

How could steroids make her thinner?